Come Peace Bannering during the RNC!
September 1st through 4th from 9 - 11 am
The Peace Island Picnic crew is much the same as the Twin Cities Peace Banner Project: If I Had A Banner crew, and we welcome you to join us on pedestrian bridges near downtown Saint Paul as we share important messages with motorists and the arriving delegates to the RNC: “Support the Constitution, End the War”, “Not Another 100 Years”, “Who Lied? Who Died? Who Pays? Who Profits?”, “Don’t Bomb Iran” and other messages. Here are the details:
- You can contact in advance or just show up (contact info below for each bridge). Come for a few minutes or the full two hours, once or every day. We just want you there! Each morning, a banner brigade team leader will bring all the banners and flags needed to fill his or her bridge, so all you have to do is show up and stand with us.
- For those of you who haven’t participated before, holding the banners is perfectly legal as long as they are not “affixed” (tied in any way) to the fencing. We’ve been holding weekly vigils in some of these locations for almost a year now without incident. The Minnesota State Patrol which has jurisdiction over the pedestrian bridges and bike paths over the interstate highways is well aware of the law at this point. But in the unlikely event of police harassment or action (perhaps by a non Twin Cities or out of state officer unfamiliar with the law), a number to call would be 651 365-8635—which is the line to the National Lawyers Guild’s “Coldsnap” coordinators.
- Note: NO BANNERING IF IT IS RAINING. We only banner in fair weather.
- The bridges:
- Aldine St pedestrian bridge over I-94–Red, white and blue “End the war” and “Not another 100 years!” banners on bridge just west of the Snelling Ave exit on 94. Led by Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace (email@example.com) and Mike Madden.
- Grotto St pedestrian bridge over I-94–Yellow “Say No to War” theme on the bridge just west of the Dale St exit on 94. Led by Roxanne Mindemann (firstname.lastname@example.org), Coleen Rowley and Bill Habedank.
- Mackubin St pedestrian bridge over I-94–Orange “Don’t Bomb Iran” theme on the Mackubin bridge, just east of the Dale St exit on 94. Led by Tom Dickinson (email@example.com), Susan Nixon & Wally Lentz, and Tim Hansen.
- Near Childrens Hospital bike/foot bridge over I-35E–Pink “Who Lied-Who Died?” theme on the bridge from Childrens Hospital (very close to Xcel). Led by the Skog family (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ross Rowley and Robert Palmer.
- Gateway bikepath bridge over I-35E–“Torture is wrong-Close Guantanamo” on Gateway bikepath over 35E just north of St. Paul. Led by Roger Cuthbertson (email@example.com) and the “Tackling Torture at the Top” group.